The United States Glass Company was formed when 18 or more glass companies combined in 1891 to try to survive trying times as a combined unit.
While the idea behind the formation of this company was a sound one, the area needed to be supervised and coordinated. The numerous companies needing to be organized were located in Ohio, Indiana, West Virgina, and Pennsylvania. This was too vast an area to manage well and as a result chaos often prevailed.
After the companies combined, two new plants were built. An automatic facility at Gas City, Indiana, and a hand operation at Tiffin, Ohio. These two companies along with the Glassport, Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh plants became the important U.S. Glass plants.
Tiffin produced quality glassware with delicate etchings. They were known for their use of color.
The Gas City branch produced machine made kitchenware, and dinnerware in colored glass through the 1930s.
The factories in Pittsburgh were known for their decorating . They decorated lamps, tableware and a large line of colored glassware and crystal.
In 1938 the U.S. Glass main offices were relocated to Tiffin, Ohio. By 1951 Tiffin was the only plant still in operation.
Reference for this brief history was taken from the book:
"Colored Glassware of the Depression Era 2"by Hazel Marie Weatherman
Any one collecting Depression Era glassware should add this wonderful book to their library.
Please be sure to check out our web page http://www.kandmantiques.com